Pompano recipe consist of tomatoes stewed in soured broth with fruits, such as calamansi, tamarind, kamias.
Pinangat na Pompano
Filipino dish where fish is poached in broth flavored with tomatoes and sour fruit.
- 2 pompano cut in half
- 3 tomatoes quartered
- 1 onion quartered
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup calamansi lime or lemon
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tamarind
- 1 ginger thinly sliced
- In a pot, add oil. Saute onion, garlic and ginger. Cook until onion is soft.
- Add tomatoes and mash.
- Add water and bring to boil.
- Add the tamarind.If using kamias as the tamarind, mash the kamias.
- Add the fish carefully. Lower heat and cover. Cook for 15 minutes or until liquid is reduced.
- Season with salt and pepper.
When buying pompano, have the fish cleaned and cut in 2. You may substitute tamarind with kamias.