Sauteed Bitter Melon or Ginisang Ampalaya is a vegetable recipe that goes well with many dishes. It is one of the healthiest recipes around.
In this recipe, I added tofu. I fried the tofu until golden brown. Also, I added small shrimp. If adding shrimp, buy headless shrimp and peeled. It’s easier to cook this way.
Some soak the Ampalaya before cooking it to lessen the bitter taste. However, I like my Ampalaya bitter so I don’t soak it in water.
- 2 ampalaya thinly cut
- 1/2 pack mild tofu cubed. optional
- 1/2 lb shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tomato sliced
- 1 onion sliced
- In a pan, fry tofu until golden brown. Set aside.
- In a pan, saute onion, garlic and tomato.
- Once the onion is soft, add ampalaya. Mix.
- Add tofu. Season with salt/pepper. Mix.
- Add shrimp. Cook for 2 mins.
- Pour beaten eggs over the ampalaya. Stir. Cover. Let the egg cook.