Bistek is classic Filipino dish made of thinly sliced beef marinated and braised in soy sauce, citrus juice, onion, garlic and pepper.
Made from beef slices braised in citrus juice, soy sauce, onion and garlic.
- 2 lbs sirloin thinly sliced
- 2 lemons juiced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 head garlic minced
- 1 – 2 onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup water
- In a bowl, combine beef, lemon juice, soy sauce, garlic and pepper. Mix. Marinate for 30 minutes or more. I prefer to marinate overnight.
- In a pan, cook the beef over high heat until lightly brown. Set aside the marinade.
- In the pan, saute half of the onions and garlic. Put the beef back.
- Pour the remaining marinade. Add water and bring to boil. Cover and lower heat.
- Simmer for 40 minutes until meat is tender and liquid is reduced.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add the remaining half of the onions.. Cover. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
After thinly slicing the beef, pound the beef to tenderize it. I use toyomansi instead of regular soy sauce. I love onions, I tend to put about 3 onions. I also prefer yellow onions. Hold on to salt, taste it first. If it too salty, add water and reduce.